Why linking keg-only formulae requires --force option in homebrew?

(Yu Chieh Henry Yang) #1

Background knowledge: I installed node when installing yarn via brew before, but yarn doesn’t use the latest version of node well so I’m trying to switch to past version of node now.

Note: node@8 seems to be a keg-only formula

Why do the homebrew developers decide to prevent us from using

brew link node@8

and ask us to use

brew link --force node@8

In other words, what’s so special about keg-only formula, that makes the developers decide to ask users to add --force option to link them?

(Franklin Yu) #2

There are different reason for a formula to be keg-only. In your case we already have node taking /usr/local/bin/node. Typical solution would be adding /usr/local/opt/node@8/bin to your $PATH.

(Yu Chieh Henry Yang) #3

Yes, thank you fro the explanations.

Is there a reason why we need the --force command? non-keg-only package don’t need --force option, so why does keg-only packages need it?

(Sean Molenaar) #4

Because formulae are deemed keg-only if they overwrite an existing command.

(Yu Chieh Henry Yang) #5

Thank you for the reply.

I’m unclear about how homebrew knows a package will know when a package is going to overwrite an existing command.

As an example, I did these before (which ultimately leads me to ask this question):

brew install node
brew install node@8
brew unlink node
brew link node@8

Why does the last command need --force? I already unlink node so node@8 shouldn’t be clashing with node now. In other words, overwriting shouldn’t be happening.

(Sean Molenaar) #6

It knows because people defined it as such, afaik there’s no actual check. There’s just the formula defining that node@8 will clash with an existing binary, if that binary is currently linked is irrelevant. It could still be in the path one way or another.

(Yu Chieh Henry Yang) #7

Is there a reason the last command need --force? I already unlink node so node@8 shouldn’t be clashing with node now. In other words, overwriting shouldn’t be happening.

There is also another option --overwrite for brew link. You mentioned --overwrite before, from a literal perspective, one would assume it is related to --overwrite option, but we are talking about the --force option here.

I am a little bit confused about the difference between them, can you please elaborate on their difference?

(Franklin Yu) #8

Clashing is only one reason. For example, in the case of OpenSSL, there is no clashing of anything in /usr/local/bin/ or what, but it will shadow the OpenSSL coming with macOS. There can be many other reasons, so it is impossible to detect whether linking would cause trouble. The --force simply transfers the responsibility of detection from Homebrew to user. So no, --force doesn’t mean that it will clash. It means “think twice”.

(Yu Chieh Henry Yang) #9

If user is responsible for thinking, what should the user think?

What’s the many other reasons the user need to consider?