Why is MacVim now installing vi/vim/vimdiff/view/vimex links?

(Norrisjeremy) #1

I fail to understand why the deprecated override-system-vim option was removed from MacVim and instead the “deprecated” behavior is now permanently enabled.

Please reconsider this change: I now have to play games with my shell to prevent typing the command vim from opening MacVim GUI windows instead of simply opening traditional text-based vim.

(Steve Peters) #2

I see that the behavior was recently changed here:

I’m guessing my shell is configured differently, but I don’t have to play any games; invoking /usr/local/bin/vim continues to load the traditional text-based vim for me.

(Sean Molenaar) #3

This is because this is the default install for macvim. This is also why there’s now a conflict with the vim formula defined. Both install the same binaries. You can unlink macvim to have to start it from a full path instead of vim in the path.

(Norrisjeremy) #4

Sorry, I should have been more clear: the games I have to play is that typing vim no longer launches the version of vim installed by macOS (located at /usr/bin/vim), but instead launches the embedded version included by MacVim located at /usr/local/Cellar/macvim/8.1-151_2/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim.

While I appreciate the upstream’s default behavior is to install a vim link that uses the its embedded version, I’m disheartened that Homebrew decided to change it’s behavior to follow the upstream vendor’s arguably poor choice.

(Sean Molenaar) #5

Unlinking will still fix your issue then. I personally don’t think it’s a bad choice to allow people to install another version of software over the often outdated macOS builtins though. I’d say it’s a worse user experience if someone installs php but that php won’t be available until you do some tricks to the path because macOS also has a PHP.

(Norrisjeremy) #6

Well I personally installed macvim for the GUI application bundle, not for its version of the traditional text-UI version of vim. I wish there was still a choice somehow through an install option like previous versions prior to the updates the past few days to allow folks to opt-in or out of this behavior, but it appears I’m alone this belief and will have to acquiesce.

(Steve Peters) #7

Is there a significant difference between the system vim and the one embedded in macvim?