What's the point of "Updating Homebrew"?

Simple question: What’s the point of “Updating Homebrew” every time I install something?

Since it takes at least a minute for it to update, I just Ctrl+C it every time, so if it is that important that you have to wait a minute every time you install something, I think that feature is so annoying that it defeats it’s purpose.

Well, homebrew only ever works with the latest versions of software so without the updates your system will likely break in unexpected and hard to debug ways. In addition to that, without those updates you’re installing some random old version of the software instead of the version that’s actually supported.

Well, when I want to install something, I don’t want to wait a minute or more for something else.
If this is something similar to sudo apt update on Ubuntu, why do I have to do it every single time I install something? Why not once a day or something? It’s annoyingly useless.

I’m not sure how the “system will likely break”. Homebrew explicitly doesn’t want to run with sudo, so I would assume that it can’t touch or break my system.

I’m not sure how the “system will likely break”. Homebrew explicitly doesn’t want to run with sudo , so I would assume that it can’t touch or break my system.

This refered to the homebrew system.

If this is something similar to sudo apt update on Ubuntu, why do I have to do it every single time I install something?

It’s sorta similar in the things that it does. It’s however much more important due to homebrew being an evergreen system, in contrary to Ubuntu which has 6-montly releases. Therefore it’s closer to Arch Linux. Which has an explanation in their wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Upgrading_the_system

Is there any way to make the upgrade happen more rare or for it to not take as long?

You could do brew update in a cronjob of sorts in the background. If your system is closer to the latest version it’s bound to be faster.

https://docs.brew.sh/Manpage#environment also describes HOMEBREW_AUTO_UPDATE_SECS but it’s not really recommended to set that to a very high number.

But why not? I mean, an update a day seems very reasonable to me.

Because only the latest version of software is only ever supported by homebrew. So if you install something that has a new version already that you didn’t get because of your timeout you’re just causing yourself potentially heaps of trouble.

I’m not sure what usecase you have to run installs so often without wanting it to install the latest version but you might be better off caching the repo somewhere so it pulls faster.