Welcome to the Homebrew community!

(system) #1

You can use this place to talk about Homebrew, ask for help or generally anything governed by our Code of Conduct that doesn’t fit on our GitHub repositories. Have fun!

Hi all,
i think i installed Homebrew using this command:
ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”

i looked for it everywhere i could think of in my iMac desktop, just to verify that it worked. --(I am not a tech-savvy person, so please keep you reply super simple okay!)-- But i can’t find it-- anyone tell me how to see if it got installed?

(Mike McQuaid) #3

You interact with Homebrew purely through your Terminal.

@z.ixa open terminal and type “brew”. If you see “Example usage…” you’re good. If you see “command not found”, you’re not.

Thanks! :slight_smile:
When i typed in “brew”, i got “command not found”, so that means i don’t
have it installed, but i don’t have to worry about anything if im okay with
not having it, right? (ie. there won’t be any related problems with my
having tried to do so previously?)

many blessings!

@z.ixa I don’t see how it would be an issue. When you gave the command it would’ve started showing all these things downloading.

great, thanks so much for your help! :slight_smile:

many blessings!

Aloha!
Please allow me to investigate what could have happened with my home brew install. I had several hard drives failures and cloned (CCC) drives several times from a source that was not as up to date as I hoped for.
Earlier I received this return for an attempt to re-install home brew on my intel iMac running 10.8.5:

==> This script will install:
/usr/local/bin/brew
/usr/local/share/doc/homebrew
/usr/local/share/man/man1/brew.1
/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions/_brew
/usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d/brew
/usr/local/Homebrew

Press RETURN to continue or any other key to abort
==> Downloading and installing Homebrew…
curl: (35) error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version
Failed during: /bin/bash -o pipefail -c ‘/usr/bin/curl -fsSL https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/tarball/master | /usr/bin/tar xz -m --strip 1’

Is the SSL error due to my being on a foreign WLAN that is not very secure?

My gratefulness in advance to those who might be able to enlighten me about this error.

(Szewah) #9

I also have an issue with finding commands. Some work, such as man brew, others such as brew uninstall or brew help do not. Everything was working alright until yesterday when I uninstalled and reinstalled it, along with a mac os update.

(Jonathan Duncan) #10

@system, looks like your link needs to be updated to this: https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

:slight_smile:

(Augustotavares4) #11

Hey guys i’m struggling to how to install brew tap homebrew/nginx every time i try install give me error.

this is the error : Error: homebrew/nginx was deprecated. This tap is now empty as all its formulae were migrated.

Augusto

(Jacob Ledbetter) #12

First, don’t post the same thing on multiple posts. Second, as I have already replied, nginx is now in homebrew/core.

(Augustotavares4) #13

Thanks for answer me back. :slight_smile:

I’m having issues too…go to install it and then it asks for a password but doesn’t let me type? Also, I don’t know what the password would even be?

(Sean Molenaar) #15

If you type your password in the terminal it won’t show what you are typing as a security precaution.

It should be your user password (but you need to have administrator access)

Thanks got confused what password it meant but it’s downloaded now, woop! Thanks :slight_smile:

(Garen Frierson) #17

Will There be any way that I will be able to put any of my PC games or apps on the Homebrew. Also is there a way that I can get the Nintendo switch Homebrew store on my Wii u because that cool.
Also there is an emulator called CEMU and what it does is it lets players play Wii u games free or Nintendo switch games if you have the game code and it provides game codes.
Many people wanted that on Homebrew as well as a way to get non Homebrew apps on Homebrew. I love what you did with Homebrew for switch and Wii U etc and I am proud to have your app.

(Garen Frierson) #18

This is just some of the people who wanted Cemu on Homebrew etc.

(Sean Molenaar) #19

That’s a whole different kind of homebrew. This forum is for homebrew as macOS package manager.