Warning: Unbrewed dylibs were found in /usr/local/lib

(John) #1

Unexpected dylibs: /usr/local/lib/live555.dylib

I just ran brew doctor today and received that warning. It’s not an issue unless a brew installer misplaced the library.

The main question is how to know which package installed what libraries? Is there a way to search which apps use certain libraries?

For example:
brew list libmetalink /usr/local/Cellar/libmetalink/0.1.3/include/metalink/ (5 files) /usr/local/Cellar/libmetalink/0.1.3/lib/libmetalink.3.dylib /usr/local/Cellar/libmetalink/0.1.3/lib/pkgconfig/libmetalink.pc /usr/local/Cellar/libmetalink/0.1.3/lib/ (2 other files) /usr/local/Cellar/libmetalink/0.1.3/share/man/ (15 files)

The 4th line just says "(2 other files)

How do I find out which brew package installed this library. Other non-brew-cask installers may have installed this to this location? I looked through everything I installed the day this library was installed and don’t see this.

It’s a streaming library.

Next, is there a way to correct this? All the libraries in usr/local/lib appear to be symlinked.

These are the installs I made recently that could possibly be involved.

brew install ffmpeg $(brew options ffmpeg | grep -vE ‘\s’ | grep – ‘–with-’ | tr ‘\n’ ’ ')
brew install mkvtoolnix
brew install --with-qt mkvtoolnix --force

(Jonathan Chang) #2

If it’s been installed by Homebrew, readlink /usr/local/lib/live555.dylib should show you the symlink to the package that installed it. For example:

$ readlink /usr/local/lib/libpoppler.dylib
../Cellar/poppler/0.64.0_1/lib/libpoppler.dylib

tells me that the poppler package installed this dylib.