Upgrading virtualbox fails - my fault

Hi there,

yesterday I started upgrading as usual and forgot about it. Virtualbox-extension-pack asked for my password and I never responded. So today I typed it in and it failed, because the uninstall tool was removed before. Error Mesage:

Error: uninstall script VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool does not exist.

The hole message was as followed:

==> Upgrading 1 outdated package:
virtualbox 6.0.6,130049 -> 6.0.8,130520
==> Caveats
To install and/or use virtualbox you may need to enable its kernel extension in:
System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General
==> Satisfying dependencies
==> Downloading
Already downloaded: >/Users/ben/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/130d78b88001e8d144b4c39fedf0caa739515abf930f870f90f440eaf644ea8c–VirtualBox-6.0.8-130520-OSX.dmg
==> Verifying SHA-256 checksum for Cask ‘virtualbox’.
==> Starting upgrade for Cask virtualbox
==> Running uninstall script VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool
==> Purging files for version 6.0.8,130520 of Cask virtualbox
Error: uninstall script VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool does not exist.

I tried the steps as mentioned in “How to reporting bugs” and some other steps:

brew update-reset && brew update
brew cask remove virtualbox

And removed it by hand from my application folder. Now the output is this:

==> Installing Cask virtualbox
==> Running installer for virtualbox; your password may be necessary.
==> Package installers may write to any location; options such as --appdir are ignored.
installer: Package name is Oracle VM VirtualBox
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the >installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
==> Purging files for version 6.0.8,130520 of Cask virtualbox
Error: Failure while executing; /usr/bin/sudo -E -- env LOGNAME=ben USER=ben USERNAME=ben /usr/sbin/installer -pkg /usr/local/Caskroom/virtualbox/6.0.8,130520/VirtualBox.pkg -target / exited with 1.
Here’s the output:
installer: Package name is Oracle VM VirtualBox
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the >installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
Follow the instructions here:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-cask#reporting-bugs
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/system_command.rb:109:in assert_success' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/system_command.rb:52:inrun!’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/system_command.rb:29:in run' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/system_command.rb:33:inrun!’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/artifact/pkg.rb:59:in block in run_installer' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/artifact/pkg.rb:65:inwith_choices_file’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/artifact/pkg.rb:52:in run_installer' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/artifact/pkg.rb:34:ininstall_phase’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:214:in block in install_artifacts' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.3/usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/set.rb:674:ineach’
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.3/usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/set.rb:674:in each' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:205:ininstall_artifacts’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:103:in install' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:345:inblock in cask_dependencies’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:338:in each' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:338:incask_dependencies’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:251:in satisfy_dependencies' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:63:infetch’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:94:in install' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/installer.rb:126:inreinstall’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/cmd/reinstall.rb:13:in block in run' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/cmd/reinstall.rb:7:ineach’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/cmd/reinstall.rb:7:in run' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/cmd/abstract_command.rb:36:inrun’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/cmd.rb:92:in run_command' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/cmd.rb:158:inrun’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cask/cmd.rb:123:in run' /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cmd/cask.rb:9:incask’
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/brew.rb:102:in `’

I don’t want to file a bug for that, because it’s my fault and I don’t want to start over. Does anybody has an idea how to deal with that?

Thanks!!

You don’t have to create an issue, it’s already there: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-cask/issues/63337

1 Like