Updating an old formula

(Johnlockard) #1

Users on another forum complained that Minetest had not been updated in quite some time — the bottled version at 0.4.17 and the current version at 5.0.0 with an expected update for bug fixes in a couple of weeks.

I attempted compiling Minetest from minetest.rb and got weird error messages about math.h functions not declared even after switching to other compilers. Assuming corrupted system files, I backed up the important stuff, formatted the hard drive, installed the latest version of macOs, a restored everything. (Interestingly, the computer ran much faster.)

Looking inside the minetest.rb formula with TextEdit, which likes replacing ‘minetest’ with ‘mintiest’, I removed the line ‘depends_on :x11’ before compiling with brew. Minetest version 0.4.17 compiled without errors; and in the start game tab, the seed ‘-1’ generated a normal but cold looking world.

Next I opened up minetest.rb again formula with TextEdit and changed the following lines:

stable do
url “https://github.com/minetest/minetest/archive/5.0.0.tar.gz
sha256 “1ba816f77dc9dbd5a4995f0c1d482f8f22b9aa75b6d6999dbfd1f3d698363d0a”

resource "minetest_game" do
  url "https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/archive/5.0.0.tar.gz"
  sha256 "83688d802f9d8308acf6f95e6845cdbe1ee1bc088a963a30f94cf72ec7265cf8"
end

end

Again I compiled from the formula without any errors and the 5.0.0 folder replaced the 0.4.17 folder. This time I tested the join game tab and logged into the Xanadu server, no problems, everything worked as expected.

The rest of the minetest.rb formula looks complicated. Do I change anything else in there?

0 Likes

(Sean Molenaar) #2

This might be the best way to bump a version: https://docs.brew.sh/Manpage#bump-formula-pr-options-formula

However, with your progress. If all requirements in the pull request template are met you can just make a pull request and see if there’s any feedback there.

0 Likes

(Johnlockard) #3

Bump didn’t work, but the pull request got part of the way there.

The test block does not want to work. I’m forcing test path files in that the program normally generates on its own when running tests. If it doesn’t pass this time I’m recommending using only --help and --version in tests.

0 Likes

(Johnlockard) #4

I found the debug logs finally.

2019-04-07 21:05:49: INFO[Main]: Audio: Global Initialized: OpenAL 1.1, using
2019-04-07 21:05:49: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.4
2019-04-07 21:05:49: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Wed Feb 27 00:43:23 PST 2019; root:xnu-4570.71.35~1/RELEASE_X86_64
2019-04-07 21:05:49: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: No doublebuffering available.
Error: minetest: failed

And I get.

2019-04-08 21:04:08: INFO[Main]: Audio: Global Initialized: OpenAL 1.1, using Built-in Output
2019-04-08 21:04:08: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.4
2019-04-08 21:04:08: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: Darwin Kernel Version 18.5.0: Mon Mar 11 20:40:32 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.251.3~3/RELEASE_X86_64
2019-04-08 21:04:08: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: Using renderer: OpenGL 2.1
2019-04-08 21:04:08: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine: Intel Inc.
2019-04-08 21:04:08: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
2019-04-08 21:04:08: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: GLSL version: 1.2
2019-04-08 21:04:08: [Main]: Running speed tests

So I can only make one more move.

0 Likes