Unable to install homebrew

(Ironsniper1) #1

i am trying to install homebrew on 10.8.5 and i keep this error when i try to install

fatal: unable to access ‘https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/’: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol versionFailed during: git fetch origin master:refs/remotes/origin/master --tags --force

i have tried -k and --insecure but nothing works

(Eduard Rozenberg) #2

Check if any of these help. I think relatively few people are on older than 10.10 or 10.11, but there should be a way to make it work, either by updating some certificate file(s), or by manually installing a newer SSL if all else fails.

(Ironsniper1) #3

i went through all of them and none helped, i am using this version of osx to try and compile certain software

(Eduard Rozenberg) #4

Likely that --insecure doesn’t work because github doesn’t allow insecure connections. You’re saying you’re ok with insecure, but github says nuh-huh.

Looks like other people have made it work. I can’t vouch for these steps - the risk is your own etc.

Another approach that might work is to copy the various files and tarballs the homebrew installer is looking for to a web server on your local network. On your 10.8 Mac you would add temporary entries to your /etc/hosts for raw.githubusercontent.com and github.com pointing to the IP address for that local web server. This way the homebrew installer would get the files it needs from your local web server instead of trying to make connections to github. Once homebrew is installed, you would:

brew install openssl
brew install curl
echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/opt/curl/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.bash_profile

Then remove the temporary /etc/hosts entries.

Have never actually done this, so don’t know if it would work.