Unable to create new formula

I am trying to create a new formula. When I try doing brew install --build-from-source kfctl -d -v

This is the output.

brew install --build-from-source kfctl -d -v
Updating Homebrew...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 1 tap (homebrew/cask).
==> Updated Casks
unity-ios-support-for-editor

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/brew.rb (Formulary::FormulaLoader): loading /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/kfctl.rb
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/brew.rb (Formulary::FormulaLoader): loading /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/kfctl.rb
==> Searching for similarly named formulae...
This similarly named formula was found:
kfctl
To install it, run:
  brew install kfctl
Error: No available formula or cask with the name "kfctl".
==> Searching taps on GitHub...
/usr/bin/curl --disable --globoff --show-error --user-agent Homebrew/2.5.11-56-g1255557\ \(Macintosh\;\ Intel\ Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.15.7\)\ curl/7.64.1 --header Accept-Language:\ en --retry 3 --location https://api.github.com/search/code\?q=user\%3AHomebrew\+path\%3AFormula\+path\%3ACasks\+path\%3A.\+filename\%3Akfctl\+extension\%3Arb\&per_page=100 --header Accept:\ application/vnd.github.v3\+json --write-out '
'\%\{http_code\} --header Accept:\ application/vnd.github.antiope-preview\+json --user 172697:****** --dump-header /private/tmp/github_api_headers20201118-61604-4rxz1a
Error: No formulae found in taps.

What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

That almost certainly means there’s a syntax error in your formula, so it could not be loaded (not sure why brew didn’t throw an error or something).

To isolate the problem, run brew audit --strict --online kfctl and see what sort of errors jump out. They may look obscure, but should help point you to the root cause. For example, see here.

Thank you! It was the syntax error that was causing it. Appreciate the help :slight_smile: