Repeatedly failing to download basic brew installation

Tried at various times today, with always the same failure result:

/usr/bin/ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”

==> This script will install:
/usr/local/bin/brew
/usr/local/share/doc/homebrew
/usr/local/share/man/man1/brew.1
/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions/_brew
/usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d/brew
/usr/local/Homebrew
Press RETURN to continue or any other key to abort

==> Downloading and installing Homebrew…
remote: Enumerating objects: 125670, done.
error: RPC failed; curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed
Failed during: git fetch origin master:refs/remotes/origin/master --tags --force

It gets quite a long way through the download, but it always closes early. Is everything OK with that file?

Unfortunately your network seems to abort the connection before it can download the full git repo. There isn’t a lot we can do to debug your connection, but you might want to try on a fast non-corporate network.

This was on a fast fibre home network, where over the last day I have successfully downloaded at least 6GB of macOS installers as I have to rebuild a MacMini in its entirety. I’ve had no other network issues, and I can’t (easily) move it to another network.

Reading other “curl 18 errors” that crop up on other sites, it could equally be server-side problems.

Well, good news, after some more attempts, I got the initial download completed successfully, and then some further installations.

1 Like

I have the same issue, what worked in the end…did you just keep trying the install or something else?

Thanks