Pruned 0 symbolic links and 4 directories from /usr/local

(Haythem Ben Abdallah) #1

After updating homebrew , and purned it , i get this message " Pruned 0 symbolic links and 4 directories from /usr/local "
and i cant get rid of it , it keeps showing , what does it mean , thanks

(Claudia) #2

The message means that Homebrew has found (and allegedly deleted) four unneeded, empty subdirectories somewhere below /usr/local.

You can simulate deletion by running brew prune -n. What’s the output of that command?

(Haythem Ben Abdallah) #3

(Claudia) #4

Great, thank you!

What happens if you try deleting one of those folders by hand? (I assume you know that the rm command can cause data loss if you make a mistake. Copy the command line exactly as shown below and you’ll be fine.)

rm -r /usr/local/share/locale

(Haythem Ben Abdallah) #5

I tried that already, i can delete the folders but after i do brew upgrade , all the folde are generated again

(Claudia) #6

I tried that already, i can delete the folders but after i do brew upgrade , all the folde are generated again

You’re right @djerbien. I can reproduce the issue with a clean install.

This is a bug in Homebrew but as far as I know, no issue has been filed yet on GitHub for that. Feel free to do so if you like!

In the meantime, you can work around the problem by installing a few more packages. Once Homebrew has placed some files and symlinks in those four directories, it will no longer attempt to delete them. That may also explain why the issue has gone undetected so long.

(Haythem Ben Abdallah) #7

i tried already to place some file and yes it worked , nothing was removed , anyway thanks for your help :smile: