Password problems

(Carl Caulkett) #1

Like many users I am having problems with the password which is prompted when trying to install Homebrew. Is this the password which is associated with my Apple ID? I’ve slightly simplified this password to enable to be more easily typed, and yet each time the password attempt fails.

I’m on 10.11.3 El Capitan and I do not have Xcode installed (it insists on Sierra) if that makes any difference. What is going on?

(Carl Caulkett) #2

The problem is solved. I was getting mixed up between the password associated with my Apple ID, which is not the one I wanted, and my Machine Password associated with my Admin account that I set up when the OS was first installed, which is the correct password to use for Homebrew.

I have a further problem now in that my terminal window is seemingly stuck with the message “Downloading Command Line Tools (macOS El Capitan version 10.11) for Xcode” - I guess it’s just a long download… I’ve just had to enter the password again, and it’s just come up with an error…

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
xcode-select: error: invalid developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools’
Failed during: /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks.

(Franklin Yu) #3

So does the directory /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools exist? Try

ls /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

(Carl Caulkett) #4

Thanks for the reply Franklin! I was able to solve the problem by running a
Terminal command I found elsewhere on Discourse. It installed the command
line tools and Homebrew now runs sweetly. I’ve used it to install Sublime
Text 3 and Atom, so far.
Cheers,
Carl

(Glen Pamment) #5

Your post helped me, but I am not able to help you, sorry. It seems like your problem is now fixed.