Macvim fails to run after latest Sierra Security Update

(Will Fiveash) #1

After I updated my Mini running Sierra (there are reasons I have not updated the OS on that system) with the latest Security update from Apple, the homebrew version of macvim (and gvim, etc…) became unable to run giving this error:

$ gvim
dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/libruby.2.0.0.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/macvim/8.1-151/MacVim.app/Contents/bin/…/MacOS/Vim
Reason: image not found
Abort

I have checked /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions and there is now a 2.3 folder which contains the ruby binary unlike the 2.0 folder. Looking at a Time Machine backup of the Versions folder I see that 2.3 was introduced by the security update.

As an aside, there is also a Current symlink in Versions that points to the most recent version of Ruby, so I’m wondering if it is possible to compile macvim to use that symlink instead of specifying the version of ruby to use?

(Will Fiveash) #2

Or compile it to use the homebrew ruby lib /usr/local/lib/libruby.dylib?

(Sean Molenaar) #3

That seems like a question for macvim?

(Will Fiveash) #4

How do I submit that to the homebrew macvim maintainer?

(Sean Molenaar) #5

There is no specific person maintaining macvim for homebrew. There are people maintaining homebrew and there are people maintaining macvim (I think). Homebrew maintainers take requests for features in the form of pull requests to the repositories of homebrew.
Macvim might have a different process for this.

(Uftou) #6

issue opened here for the macvim maintainers: