MacVim and Vim not working after Cataliuna update - Python

Hello all!

After long hesitation I upgraded to Catalina. My first task: firing up my beloved MacVim! And my first step with Catalina failed (hope there will be not more problems)!

MacVim installed with Homebrew does not find the path to Ruby or wants to find an old Version (suppose the system Ruby). I added to my ~/.zshrc the path of

export PATH="/usr/local/opt/ruby/bin:$PATH"

Here some infos:

which ruby 
/usr/local/opt/ruby/bin/ruby
ruby -v
ruby 2.6.5p114 (2019-10-01 revision 67812) [x86_64-darwin19]
mvim --version
dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.3/usr/lib/libruby.2.3.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/macvim/8.1-157/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
  Reason: image not found
[1]    17388 abort      mvim --version
brew doctor
Your system is ready to brew.

I reinstalled Ruby several times, and MacVim too. Also the vim is not working from my Terminal (same problem with Ruby). How to reinstall MacVim with /usr/local/opt/ruby/bin/ruby?

Best greetings to all

marek

1 Like

Hi Marek,

You can work around it by installing the “HEAD” version:

brew uninstall macvim
brew install macvim --HEAD

And you might have to install the full XCode to do the second step, if you only have the command line tools installed which suffice for most brew packages.

1 Like

Thank you Gabor! I am very grateful for your solution. --HEAD was the magic missing word! No need to reinstall Xcode.

Best greetings from Hungary, where I am actually

marek

Unfortunately, I’m still getting an error:

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
Command CompileAssetCatalog failed with a nonzero exit code

Any way you can help me with this? Thanks.

I got that error message too.

If you haven’t launched Xcode after updating it, do so now. Xcode will ask for permission to install additional components. Let it install those components. Once that is done, try the MacVim build again.

1 Like

Thank you Ivan. That worked perfectly.