Mac OS Deprecating system scripting languages

Hello! This is my first post here, and hopefully has not already been raised, but I noticed in the release notes for the MacOS Catalina beta there is mention of scripting language runtimes being deprecated:

Scripting Language Runtimes

Deprecations
  • Scripting language runtimes such as Python, Ruby, and Perl are included in macOS for compatibility with legacy software. Future versions of macOS won’t include script language runtimes by default, and might require you to install additional packages. If your software depends on scripting languages, it’s recommended to bundle the runtime within the application. (49764202)
  • Use of Python 2.7 isn’t recommended as this version is included in macOS for compatibility with legacy software. Future versions of macOS won’t include Python 2.7. Instead, it’s recommended to run python3 from within Terminal. (51097165)

A lot of my tooling relies on brew, which to my understanding relies on system Ruby on MacOS. I’m wondering if there are existing workarounds for when system ruby is deprecated or if that is something that will need to be addressed in the future?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Deprecated isn’t the same as removed. In a worst case scenario they’ll be removed in 1.5 years in the next public macOS release in which case homebrew will pull in a temporary ruby binary to install itself (as it already does on linux and has done on older macOS versions). After that you can use the ruby you install through homebrew just like you can now.

6 Likes

That makes sense, thank you!

Awesome. Looks like brew will be able to rely on portable, up-to-date versions than the deprecated Ruby 2.3 version that comes with macOS now. I was aware that you could switch over the config to use a different version anyways. I’ve grown quite tired of each new macOS distribution containing very outdated tools/utilities because of their lack to embrace newer OSL models. Ironically, those are the same tools that aided them in the development of their software now and is viewed as a threat because of the transition to GPL3. This is a bit borderline, if not actually, hypocritical. Aye, off topic though. Glad to know that it’s being supported through the inclusion of the tools in the brew distribution for Catalina.

2 Likes