Mac OS 10.15 Catalina issues

Greetings! My wounds from trying out Mac OS 10.14 beta have healed. I’m jumping back into the frey with the unsupported new Mac OS 10.15 beta and matching Xcode 11 beta.

First hitch I hit is (I’ve added VERBOSE=1 to make here):

$ brew install --debug cmake
[ 50%] Building CXX object Source/CMakeFiles/CMakeLib.dir/cmComputeComponentGraph.cxx.o
cd /tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source && /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/shims/mac/super/clang++  -DCMAKE_BUILD_WITH_CMAKE -DLIBARCHIVE_STATIC -I/tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Utilities -I/tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source -I/tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source/LexerParser -I/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/usr/include -I/tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source/CTest -I/tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source/CPack  -O3 -DNDEBUG -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk   -std=gnu++1z -o CMakeFiles/CMakeLib.dir/cmComputeComponentGraph.cxx.o -c /tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source/cmComputeComponentGraph.cxx
In file included from /tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source/cmCommandArgumentParserHelper.cxx:6:
In file included from /tmp/cmake-20190607-52395-elb8pc/cmake-3.15.0-rc1/Source/cmMakefile.h:16:
In file included from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/unordered_map:408:
In file included from /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/__hash_table:19:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/cmath:314:9: error: no member named 'signbit' in the global namespace

Building vanilla cmake outside of brew succeeds, so it’s probably a brew-specific problem.

Anybody else running into this?

I’m also running 10.15 beta -
did you get brew to work?
/storm

Running 10.15 beta as well and had the same issue.
It seems to work by installing it manually into the Cellar and then linking it

OK. Installed cmake manually into the cellar by downloading and unpacking the source tarball from cmake.org, doing

./bootstrap --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.15.0-rc1 
make
make install
ln -s /usr/local/Cellar/cmake/3.15.0-rc1/bin/* /usr/local/bin

and am moving on. The other dozen brew forumulae I tried seemed to work ok.

1 Like

Homebrew does not work on 10.15 Catalina yet. If you’re running the first developer beta you should really know enough to be able to be submitting PRs for your own issues.

People shouldn’t expect it to work yet. It’ll be months before it’s likely to.

But for those who like pain and want to help expose and solve the problems, there’s nothing wrong with a forum thread about it, is there?

No, definitely nothing wrong with a forum thread, apologies if I implied otherwise. Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware :smile:

2 Likes

I’m also con Catalina beta. The error I’m running into is a “zlib module not found” in pip3 that makes it impossible to build some formulae.

Apparently the Mojave beta suffered from the same problem but the fix for Mojave does not appear to be applicable to Catalina.

greatlake:~ carlos$ pip3
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/pip3", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('pip==19.0.3', 'console_scripts', 'pip3')()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 489, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2793, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2411, in load
    return self.resolve()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2417, in resolve
    module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=['__name__'], level=0)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
    from pip._vendor.urllib3.exceptions import DependencyWarning
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .connectionpool import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 36, in <module>
    from .response import HTTPResponse
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/urllib3/response.py", line 3, in <module>
    import zlib
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'zlib'
1 Like

Well, I managed to solve this. If anyone is interested, here is what I did:

• Installed XCode 11 beta. I thought that after installing Catalina, the XCode offered by default by the App Store would be the 11 beta. However, I had XCode 10.2 installed.
    • in order to install Xcode 11, you have to download a 7.1GB package from developer.apple.com
    • what you get is some form of zip file that you have to expand and move to /Applications manually
    • then you run sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode-beta/
    • then you reinstall python brew reinstall python

So far I have built 4 or 5 formulae and all have worked fine.

My issue is just trying to reinstall yarn, it tries to install node and I always get stuck no matter how I try to build node or postgresql.

==> Reinstalling yarn
==> Installing dependencies for yarn: node
==> Installing yarn dependency: node
==> Downloading https://nodejs.org/dist/v12.4.0/node-v12.4.0.tar.gz
Already downloaded: /Users/ckizer/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/b3002491cb5bd6b439bff3cec26583554588c31ae8512cbe1b13d43ecaec55f2–node-v12.4.0.tar.gz
==> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/node/12.4.0 --without-npm --with-intl=system-icu
Last 15 lines from /Users/ckizer/Library/Logs/Homebrew/node/01.configure:
2019-06-09 23:43:42 -0700

./configure
–prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/node/12.4.0
–without-npm
–with-intl=system-icu

ERROR: Did not find a new enough assembler, install one or build with
–openssl-no-asm.
Please refer to BUILDING.md

Do not report this issue to Homebrew/brew or Homebrew/core!

These open issues may also help:
node-build 4.6.1 https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/40721

I get this error when I type node -v

node -v

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/libicui18n.62.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/node
Reason: image not found

I installed 10.15 Catalina yesterday. I had previously installed xcode 11-beta. Without thinking I ran my typical “brew update && brew upgrade && brew cleanup”. I initially got an error and the standard warning:

Error: undefined method `core_tap?’ for nil:NilClass
Warning: You are using macOS 10.15.
We do not provide support for this pre-release version.
You will encounter build failures with some formulae.
Please create pull requests instead of asking for help on Homebrew’s GitHub,
Discourse, Twitter or IRC. You are responsible for resolving any issues you
experience, as you are running this pre-release version.

I got an error for one only one dependency in webpack:

Error: Your Xcode (10.2.1) is too outdated.
Please update to Xcode 11.0 (or delete it).
Xcode can be updated from:
https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

Easily fixed with: “sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode-beta.app”

After that… though I was holding my breath the whole time… everything installed fine.

Have you tried:
brew reinstall node or brew upgrade node

That’s what I can’t get to work at all.

My next fun problem is that, at least on my Mac OS 10.15 beta 1 machine,
/ != /foo/..

e.g.

buildbot@rbb-osx1015-1 cef % ls -ld /Applications /Users/../Applications
ls: /Users/../Applications: No such file or directory
drwxrwxr-x+ 7 root  admin  224 Jun  7 13:23 /Applications

This breaks cef 3497’s build, which tries to reach /Applications via a relative path, and therefore fails.

I don’t know whether brew is going to hit this, but it seemed worth mentioning…

Possible mind-bending workaround:

$ sudo ln -s /Applications /Users/../Applications

This may have something to do with the new readonly system volume feature, dunno.