Is anybody already working on an OpenJFX cask?

(Claudionieder) #1

Hi,

With Java 11 JavaFX was made a separate entity which needs to be downloaded from http://gluonhq.com/download/javafx-11-sdk-mac

I am thinking of creating a cask for it, but wanted to know first if other more experienced brewers - for me it would be a first - is already working on it?

Thanks,
claudio

(Bryce Glover) #2

Java Mission Control is also separate now, as well, but a non–early-access build of it wasn’t released either at http://jdk.java.net/jmc/ or anywhere else when Java 11 was, so a cask for that may have to wait.

(Sean Molenaar) #3

If people are working on it there would usually be a pull request open against the Caskroom repo. If there isn’t, knock yourself out. The more the merrier :slight_smile:

(Claudionieder) #4

Thanks for the information. So there was no pull request yet and I attempted to write a cask, hopefully without too many errors on my first try.

(Sean Molenaar) #5

You can make as many errors as you want and together we’ll make it to homebrews standard. I’d much rather see everyone trying and going through a few revisions then if the homebrew maintainers would have to maintain those hundreds of thousands of pieces of software themselves.

(Bryce Glover) #6

@claudionieder:

On second thought, OpenJFX is available through Maven, one of the package managers specific to Java, and that already has a Homebrew formula. (I think I may have seen another language-specific package manager mentioned on OpenJFX’s web site under installation instructions/guidelines somewhere, too, but I can’t recall its name off the of my head at the moment; I may go refresh my memory and amend this reply to fix that.)

P. S.: The other one’s Gradle, though now I’m not sure if that’s also a package manager or just a build system…? (Shrugs for now.)

(Mirko Friedenhagen) #7

OT: Maven and Gradle are both build systems which are able to download declared build, test and runtime dependencies, compile and package everything, run unit and integration tests and distribute the package afterwards.
Both prefer convention over configuration (sources are expected to stay beneath src/main/java, test sources beneath src/test/java or src/test/groovy) and are easily expandable by plugins which e.g. provide support for css compilation, groovy or kotlin support, creation of rpms or debs etc. Gradle allows more twiddling being a groovy based DSL, which is good and bad at the same time, Maven pushes you into the direction of (often reusable) plugin creation and is IMO better fitted for enterprises.

Back to topic: both use the same big repository for dependencies and probably the Jax libraries may just be declared as dependencies.

(Claudionieder) #8

Indeed you are right, so I will retract my OpenJFX cask.

Anyway it was a nice experience to go through the process. And thanks to everybody for their help.

(Bryce Glover) #9

@claudionieder:

On third thought, OpenJFX’s submodules are all available as Maven artifacts on Maven Central, but they aren’t all available together as a single package, so an OpenJFX cask might actually be useful.

(Addendum: I’m reviving your work here.)