Installing Homebrew on a old Lion mac

(Lars Goldschlager) #1

Hello community, nice to meet you after years of sporadic homebrew use.

I’m trying to install the brew on an old mac mini with 10.7.5 which is the newest it can run. trouble comes during install because the system’s curl/openssl is too old to support the server’s tls version;

==> Downloading and installing Homebrew…
curl: (35) error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version
Failed during: /bin/bash -o pipefail -c ‘/usr/bin/curl -fsSL | /usr/bin/tar xz -m --strip 1’

I could try to manually learn how to get and setup brew’s curl and its deps, but before I endeavour to find out how to do this I wonder if there’s an alternate server or modification trick I could do to the setup script to overcome this.

Thank you very much, L.

(Wu Yongwei) #2

If I remember correctly, Homebrew stopped supporting Lion quite a long time ago. The listed requirement is OS X 10.10 or higher.

For this reason, I used MacPorts on my old Lion laptop, and switched back to Homebrew only when I got a new Mac.

(Lars Goldschlager) #3

Yes, there’s an asterisk though and says they do best effort, and it could/should work.

My stumbling block right now is the encription limited curl/openssl.

I downloaded the brew tarfiles by hand on firefox, and modified the install script to use the files instead of the curl pull, this allowed me to install homebrew now, but, when trying to install some packages, if the server the source is in has modern encription, curl fails.

Ironically enough, curl is one of those packages. I am thinking on trying to install and use brew’s curl as the system curl. But I can’t fetch it with brew (openssl and other deps have already been installed via brew).

I wonder if there’s any way to donwload the curl source file too and tell brew to use it to install… maybe worst case scenario, I could host a copy of the source in a local machine or server, download the formula and edit the formula to pull from alternative source? but is there an easier way to follow a formula but indicate what local source file to use?

(Lars Goldschlager) #4

And, I found my own answer, I edited the formula, with brew edit, changed the url to a local machine with http and dropped the source there, it’s building curl now.

Now I’m gonna search whether I can change the system’s curl by brew’s and whether that’ll be terrible or not.