Homebrew on Big Sur Impressions

I’m not certain this is on-topic here, but I thought it might be useful to share my experience with other users who are contemplating upgrading to Big Sur today on an Intel Mac.

I was initially wary of upgrading given that it is currently unsupported by Homebrew (see warning message from brew doctor here). However, I decided to do it anyway. I figured that if I found something broken, I could try to help fix it rather than wait for someone else to fix it for me.

I’m pleased to report that everything seems to be working fine so far. I even tried to build Neovim and tmux from source, and found no problems.

This is, of course, no guarantee that your experience will be as smooth as mine. If you find problems, please find a fix for it and open a PR before troubling the maintainers. (I am, however, willing to try to help you find a fix if you contact me through here.)

I hope someone finds this helpful!

1 Like

almost everything works for me

so far tmux is dead - consumes cpu and it’s not starting shell…

That’s weird. Installing tmux was the first thing I tried. Have you tried building it from source?

Edit: I’ve also just tried using the bottle for Big Sur, and it works fine for me as well.