Homebrew Fails to Install on Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

(Timur Tripp) #1

I have an old 24" iMac (Late 2006) running OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion). It’s still capable (screen is good for 1080p video playback, etc.) but was abandoned by Apple years ago simply due to its age and can’t run a newer version of MacOS.

I tried running the install command several times, and each time the install fails with this output:
curl: (35) error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version
Failed during: /bin/bash -o pipefail -c ‘/usr/bin/curl -fsSL https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/tarball/master | /usr/bin/tar xz -m --strip 1’

I remember reading a while back that Apple refused to update the SSL protocol on 10.8.5 and earlier. But surely there is some way around this to install Homebrew on a 10.8.5 system?

(Jonathan Chang) #2

We’re currently working on a pull request to update the install instructions for users on Mountain Lion and below. Try running these instructions but note that the setup is going to be a bit more complicated than a standard install. Feel free to reply here if you need help working through this.