Explanation of "option" removals?

(Denis Moskowitz) #1

I’m trying to understand what happened with the gv formula. The removal commit cited https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/31510 and https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/13133. Does that mean that since gv requires the “with-x11” install option, homebrew will no longer support it? Is there a less maintainer-directed explanation of this change somewhere?

(Sean Molenaar) #2

The first few sentences of that first issue explain it pretty well. There’s no tests for options and once they break nobody knows until there’s an unhappy user complaining. By making the most used options default we’ll reduce the support burden for homebrew maintainers to just the software that’s tested and verified on each update. In turn that means more happy users and everybody wins.

(Denis Moskowitz) #3

Okay, but formulas like gv haven’t been set to use default options only. They’ve been removed entirely.

(Sean Molenaar) #4

Then you’ll have to maintain your own version of it. There’s simply too many configurations to support well.

(Denis Moskowitz) #5

so “everybody wins” except for users of gv and any other formula that gets removed for being too complicated to install. I thought the point of homebrew was to make it easier to install programs that are tricky to build.

(Sean Molenaar) #6

And it still is for 90% of the users. If you want to use a non-standard configuration you’ll have to do a little more work.

(Denis Moskowitz) #7

I’m just frustrated that “using gv at all” is now a “non-standard configuration”.

(Jonathan Chang) #8

Yes, all formulae requiring X11/XQuartz have been nonstandard for a while. The experience using X apps on macOS is definitely not great (and I say this as a frequent Inkscape user). Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Apple is going to be addressing the awkwardness of X apps.

If you need to use gv I’d recommend you maintain your own tap; in short: brew tap-new then brew extract the deleted gv formula to your new tap.

(Denis Moskowitz) #9

Thank you very much for the sympathy and recognizing that this is a bad experience. I was able to create a tap and get gv working on my local machine again, but the documentation for maintaining and sharing a tap is pretty terrible. If I manage to get it working I’ll share my new tap and suggest doc improvements.

(Franklin Yu) #10

I think you need to maintain both gv and ghostscript because current ghostscript doesn’t has the option. Maybe we can collect formula similar to ghostscript that has options used in other formula.

Ok I found this thread by you.