Does Homebrew install Xcode command line tools?

I was hoping you could answer a quick question about the Homebrew install. When I installed it on my MacBook, I got a messages saying that the Xcode Command Line Tools would be installed. I expected it would just take the version that came with Xcode I had just installed so I hit Enter. I had not done an xcode-select –install yet. I got the following:

==> Installing Command Line Tools (macOS Mojave version 10.14) for Xcode-10.3.

Then the following command

==> /usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate -i Command\ Line\ Tools\ {macOS\ Mojave\ version\ 10.14\ for \ Xcode-10.3
Software Update Tool

Then it said it was downloading the tools but didn’t say from where:

Downloading Command Line Tools (macOS Mojave version 10.14) for Xcode
Downloaded Command Line Tools (macOS Mojave version 10.14) for Xcode
Installing Command Line Tools (macOS Mojave version 10.14) for Xcode
Done with Command Line Tools (macOS Mojave version 10.14) for Xcode
Done.
==> /usr/bin/sudo /bin/rm -f /tmp/.com.apple.dt.CommandLineTools.installondemand.in-progress
==> /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Anytime I see sudo & a download I want to verify. Does Homebrew install the Xcode command line tools and if so where does it pull it from?

Does Homebrew install the Xcode command line tools and if so where does it pull it from?

yes it does, there isn’t 100% overlap with the version that’s shipped with xcode afaik so it needs this too. And it pulls it in using the app store (softwareupdate is a macOS tool).

1 Like

Appreciate the answer. Thank you.

If I download & install v11 of the command line tools from Apple, would installing it cause any issues?