Can't update imagemagick 6.9.10-56 to 6.9.10-66 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

It seems that it can’t find libxml anymore. I’m not quite sure whether brew provides libxml by it’s own but I also have libxml-dev installed via apt (so it should find at least that one).
brew doctor claims that everything should be working fine.

The error message is magick/magick.c:90:29: fatal error: libxml/parser.h: No such file or directory.

Any idea?

Try brew install imagemagick for ImageMagick 7. If you specifically need ImageMagick 6, try brew edit imagemagick@6 and add uses_from_macos "libxml2", then brew install imagemagick@6. If that works, please open a pull request at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core

Cheers,
Shaun

Hi Shaun,

first of all:
Thank you so much for your work on LinuxBrew! You are awesome!

back to the topic:
I tried installing ImageMagick 7 and did brew uninstall imagemagick@6. However, I’m very sure that I never installed ImageMagick directly. It must have been installed via a dependency.

However, uses_from_macos "libxml2" did not lead to being able installing imagemagick@6 but it lead to another error:

coders/exr.c:63:26: fatal error: ImfCRgbaFile.h: No such file or directory

So I guess it some kind of success?
Is installing imagemagick@6 working for you?

Consider installing Linuxbrew in /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/ if possible so that you can use precompiled binary packages (known as bottles) for non-relocatable formula like imagemagick.
Another possible workaround for you is brew install --force-bottle imagemagick, but no promises.

If it’s an option for you, you could open a ticket with your information systems department to ask that they create a linuxbrew role account with home directory /home/linuxbrew.

The precompiled binary bottles of non-relocatable bottles can only be used if you install in /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew, otherwise they have to be built from source. See the documentation below. On macOS the default installation directory is /usr/local. On Linux the default installation directory is /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew.