Cannot Switch to hombrew version of git

On Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6, I cannot get my Mac to use home-brews version of git.
Before installing git with homebrew my git looks like this:

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin

$ git --version
git version 2.21.1 (Apple Git-122.3)

$ which git
/usr/bin/git

After installing git with homebrew my git looks like this:

$ brew install git
==> **Downloading https://homebrew.bintray.com/bottles/git-2.25.0.mojave.bottle.tar.**
Already downloaded: /Users/mark/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/8f367819e74f23704eabce94b3eb0db544bcad743edbf0697b8dc1809cf512cf--git-2.25.0.mojave.bottle.tar.gz
==> **Pouring git-2.25.0.mojave.bottle.tar.gz**
==> **Caveats**
Bash completion has been installed to:
/usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d
zsh completions and functions have been installed to:
/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions
Emacs Lisp files have been installed to:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/git
==> **Summary**
🍺 /usr/local/Cellar/git/2.25.0: 1,523 files, 45.6MB

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin

$ git --version
git version 2.21.1 (Apple Git-122.3)

$ which git
/usr/local/bin/git

According to which git, Apples version of git is installed in both /usr/local/bin/git as well as /usr/bin/git. How is this possible and why is homebrew installing apples version of git in the homebrew $PATH of /usr/local/bin? How do I get Mac OS to use Home-brews version of git? Please help!

Note: I have Xcode, Xcode command line tools, and GitHub desktop (homebrew cask version) installed also. I’m not sure if that makes any sort of impact on things. Noob here. Thanks for all of the help!

what if you run /usr/local/bin/git --version?

what if you run /usr/local/bin/git --version ?

I did not try that. However, since my ORIGINAL POST, I have solved this issue by issuing the following command to reset the terminal:
source ~/.bash_profile && echo "File .bash_profile reloaded correctly" || echo "Syntax error, could not import the file"

Then I closed the terminal completely and reopened, and all worked fine again. Thanks for the help!